Thursday, March 06, 2008

Are you sure you don't want one?

Client: "Are you sure you don't want one? One won't kill you?"

Rich: "No, really; just a diet soda."

Client: "Are you sure?"

Rich: "I never drink the night before a program."

Client: "Oh c'mon, one won't kill you."

Rich: "Just a diet. And thanks for wanting to treat me so well."

Now in this particular case it was easy to say no. I was delivering a professional development program to a few hundred people this morning. I never drink the night before such a program. Never. I won't risk getting sick, being hungover or doing something I will regret. When someone has paid me a fee to speak that is my rule.

But it would have been so easy to cave in to pressure had it been tonight; after the gig. But then I thought about the phrase I used...................... "And thanks for wanting to treat me so well."

It ended the desire to liquor me up. And then I thought how powerful that phrase could be when someone is trying to push food on me.

What do you say, should we all give it a try?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home