Thursday, May 29, 2008

A lesson learned from Marcie

"I noticed the meetings have changed and my leader spends a lot of the meeting time trying to sell us products" said Sandy as she asked me what WW meetings I am now leading. She was thinking of switching or trusting her success that she could do the last ten pounds on her own.

I informed Sandy that I left WW about six months ago; the main reason being a philosophical difference - that I could no longer support the push to sell, sell, sell.

While I still wholeheartedly believe in the two food programs as a great way of life for many people, I could no longer have my success or effectiveness as a leader be measured on how much money people spent when they walked through the door. I still measure success on weight loss, on behavior change, on belief in yourself to make changes, on recognizing the power of listening and sharing experiences. I acknowledge success even when you realize that you have graduated from WW and are ready to move on and continue to persevere on your own and in a manner that seems to make sense to you.

About a month ago I was facilitating a board retreat for a professional association; one of the members, Marcie, mentioned that she was leaving the association; it was time to move on. The association was there for her at a point in her career when the education and learning was critical; but her life and her business were in a different place now and she needed a new group; and that she always knows she has her colleagues and friends here if and when she needs them. She was excited and sad at the same time; more excited than sad.

So why am I writing this?

In the last few weeks I have had several people contact me asking if they should stop attending WW. It is for varied reasons, but they seem to be looking for guidance. Here is my initial thought...........Most likely you've checked out if you're asking that question. Most likely you're looking for a different approach; at least right now. WW will always be there. They are not going away and you can always go back. They offer a valuable service and "some" valuable products (processed foods are not valuable products). But please have some sort of a plan for your health; something that will ensure you take care of the only person that matters - YOU!

3 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Sandy must be my weight loss twin! I'm in a ww@work program with 10 lbs to go and feel exactly the same way about the leader that "replaced" Rich (not that anyone could)! I just do not connect him and couldn't quite put my finger on what it is until now... it's the selling, Stupid!! :)

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quit working for WW and following their program when I saw how much into selling product that they were into. They could care less about weight loss goals. It's all what is sold. Not to mention the TM in Territory 1155 wasn't very nice to me. Then again, that is cause I'm not a brown noser LOL

Rich, I've never had the pleasure of meeting you but boy have I heard great things about you from friends that had you as a WW leader.

Btw, I am still down the 92 lbs I lost. I count good ole calories now a days.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya! Not just the sell sell sell thing but the meeting topic are all the same anymore. Lately is the same topic beat to death I can't take it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home