Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Lose Weight! Gain Self-Esteem

I was pulling onto my street the other day and saw my neighbor's nephew walking towards me.

Rich: Hey Josh, haven't seen you in a while. How have you been?

Josh: Good.

Rich: Where you heading.

Josh: To the grocery store.

Rich: You're walking; good for you.

Josh: I need to.

Rich: We all do.


Now it is less than 1/2 mile from my house to the grocery store, but you have no idea what a big deal this was. My neighbor has been trying for several years to get Josh to change his unhealthy eating and inactive ways. Josh's family are those "roll" models, not role models I have talked about in the past. Two summers ago Josh spent some time here with his uncle. Several of us tried to "make him into a man." We did a makeover. We dragged him out of bed in the wee hours of the morning to get him walking or to go to the gym with his uncle; took away his donuts and cut his scary hair off. It was actually fun.

So to see this kid walking to a new tune; about 30 lbs thinner; was a great thing. To see him smiling and happy was a pretty cool thing.

Amazing what losing a bit of weight, getting a bit active and changing your hair can do for one's self-esteem - even a guy!

_____________
There's something free over on the right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home