Thursday, January 31, 2008

New is In and It Will Keep You Thin

A lot of you reading this blog know that a big part of my almost twenty years keeping off the weight had and has to do with keeping it new, keeping it alive and keeping it real.

New experiences, new activities and new food are things I have been encouraging people to do for almost two decades. So with that in mind here are a couple of new ideas for you today..........


From the Food Category:

  • On a trip to New Orleans a few years back I was introduced to mashed sweet potatoes with banana. Delicious. Now of course their version had lots of butter and sugar and cinnamon. Mine did not. It had cinnamon. But last night I added some fat-free vanilla half-and-half. A new favorite side dish; or perhaps even a snack; or a dessert; or BREAKFAST!!!!
  • Chopped up some leftover chicken the other day; was going to make chicken salad. One slight problem; no mayo. No problem; I'll come up with something. So I added a bit of soy sauce to the chicken and some salt and pepper and then had a great idea..............I spread some blueberry jam on a whole wheat wrap and dumped the chicken on for a new kind of sandwich.

And from the Exercise Department

  • Have you been struggling to lose those hips? That butt? Here's a way to laugh your ass off!

And from the New Experience Department

  • I'll report back on that one tomorrow; all I can tell you is that it involves a group of twenty-something's that I'm meeting in the "hood" in Hartford tonight.

But let me ask you; what was the last new food, new exercise or new experience to benefit your weight and health?

3 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In January I started Swinging (get your mind out of the gutter - I'm talking about dance lessons). Great fun and it was nice to "exercise" somewhere other than the gym. Ginger Rogers - watch out!!!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Tortillas for a wrap. Excellent flavor, 6g fiber, only 1 point and they taste great! I use 1T [1 pt] hummus instead of mayo as a spread in the wrap. Maybe same as light mayo but more flavor and a little fiber. Yesterday I had grilled veg and shredded kale wrap for lunch and didn't get hungry at all during the afternoon. Because of that I forgot to eat my fruit, but what the heck.

Now about the shredded kale. Don't make those faces. Just got this cool tip from Veggie Talk. Grab a handful of kale, remove stems, roll leaves up like cigar, cut into thin shreds, throw in bowl. Then put a dime size bit of olive oil [1/4t] in your hand and MASSAGE :-) gently into the kale leaves. They get soft and can be eaten raw in a salad. Add peeled orange slices, nuts, olives, other greens, turkey whatever! The leftover salad was what I put into the wrap.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction: 1 pt for 1/2 T hummus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home