Friday, July 11, 2008

To Walk or Not To Walk

So, I'm on my stomach with needles in my back the other day (acupuncture) and I hear the doctor talking with another patient about walking as her form of exercise.

He basically tells her that walking, as she does it, is useless. He told her unless you're really increasing your heart rate, you're probably not doing much good. So he encourages her to raise and elevate her heart rate by power walking then slowing down for a bit, then power walking. You get the point. He went on to tell her that most people don't walk that way; they keep it at one pace the whole time and that is why they don't see the weight loss benefits or increased strength they are looking for.

Hmm..........I guess it makes sense.

Yesterday I'm reading an article where some exercise physiologist lady is trashing walking for the exact same reasons as the doctor.

Then I started thinking.............The way I became a stronger cyclist, with more endurance, was by doing periodic sprints and not just riding at the same speed all the time.

So while both of these people are not discouraging people from walking, they are basically saying you better move your ass a bit harder, faster and longer if you want to see the results.

I couldn't agree more.
------------

Available July 25th!

Be the first on the block to get yours!

Pre-Order Today!






Waiting to hit rock bottom? Drowning in your tears? Trying to figure out which child to sell so you can attend another Personal Development or Get-Rich-By-Tomorrow seminar that promises you the world?


Save yourself some trouble!
Save yourself oodles of money!

  • Fix Your Finances!
  • Lose Weight!
  • Change Careers!
  • Start That New Business!
  • Quit Smoking!
  • Find That Perfect Relationship!
  • End That Awful Relationship!


The Only Self-Help Book You’ll Ever Need is a fun, simple, affordable, proven approach to transforming your life.

And at $9.95 you won’t have to sell your kids.






form>

1 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger sew said...

I've been wanting to post this for awhile and now is clearly the moment. I just got back from a month in Germany. I was worried about gaining weight while I was over there - the bread, the beer, the cake. Instead, I lost ten pounds! I have to chalk it up to walking. Yes, I had the delicious rolls every morning, but I had to go down two flights of stairs, walk a block and a half, and then return. Same thing, all day long. I went out to dinner every night, but without a car, I had to walk to every restaurant. I did nothing that would "count" as exercise, but I walked everywhere. It's really making me think about lifestyle issues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home