Monday, October 29, 2007

Rules Schmules

I broke two rules of entertaining last night.
  1. I tried a new untested recipe on guests.
  2. I didn't make "enough".

A long time ago I was told (and I read) that you should never try an untested recipe on guests. I was also told you always make more than enough.


Well here are my thoughts.....................................If Good Housekeeping is publishing the recipe I am going to make the assumption that it has been tested a few times. Secondly, making more than enough is an attitude that will do nothing but get me fat. Don't you agree? Are any of you reading this a product of not "making enough?"

So last night the restaurant owner, the food critic, the waiter, and someone who spends a lot of time in the kitchen creating amazing food creations, were all at my house for dinner. The pressure was on.

Well, they loved the Pumpkin-Potato Gnocchi. They thought the sauce was perfectly light (my own creation); which was good for an 8:30 PM dinner, and there were leftovers. The recipe said it served six, there were five of us. There were at least two servings left over

Rules were made to be broken; and in this case breaking these two rules can save your shape. Because always remember…………………. Round is a shape; but probably not one you enjoy having.

1 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I frequently break rule #1. My friends know I'm trying to improve my cooking skills. I've informed them they're my guinea pigs. They know they'll be trying a new recipe. Worst case scenario - it's inedible and we order pizza (haven't had to yet!). The amazing thing is - if you can read a recipe, you can cook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home